Home Forums PUBLIC DISCUSSION BOARD Holy Island Foray 11th Oct 2014. Measurements so far…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      John R
      Keymaster

Apologies for my late arrival and thank you to Tom for guiding me in using a light aircraft which he had on standby for such eventualities..

Please find attached spore sizes for a few of the finds.

Panaeolus Spore size Me = 16.3 x 12.3 µm ; Qe = 1.3

This fits with the description for Panaeolus papilionaceus (the Petticooat Mottlegill) in Philips (spores 14 – 18 x 10 – 12um). Overhanging gills forming pale, delicate teeth. Cap dark grey almost black when moist. FoS  gives Panaeolus papilionaceus spore size as 13-18.5 x 8.2-10.4 x 9.6-13 um; Q: 1.3-1.9(1.2-1.5).

Buczacki gives a spore size of 14-18 x 8-9um Panaeolus papilionaceus var papilionaceus .

John R
      Keymaster

Clitocybe No.1 – White

Spore size Me = 5 x 3.3 µm ; Qe = 1.5

Smell: indistinct. Cap not wavy.

I think this could be Clitocybe rivulosa (Philips p 92). Spores 4-5.5 x 2.5-3.5 um. Habitat: in troops or rings in grass or sandy soil. Spore size is also within range for C.candicans.

Buczacki p168 Spores: ellip, smooth 4-5.5 x 2-5um. Habitat: ..parks, pastures, also dunes..often ocurring with Marasmius oreades (which we found nearby).

Fruitbody photo also attached (48 hours post-collection, colour of cap and stem have darkened considerably. Much paler when picked).

John R
      Keymaster

Clitocybe No.2 – Grey

Light grey Clitocybe with darker central depression. Possibly Clitocybe barbularum which was a name we plucked from the book on the day.

Spore size Me = 5.5 x 3.4 µm ; Qe = 1.6

Buczacki p170 spores: subsph to broadly ellip, smooth 5-7 x 3-4um.

Habitat: on sandy soils, usually on dunes.

I haven’t been able to locate it in any other book I have except Funga Nordica. Seems to fit though.

John R
      Keymaster

Clitocybe No. 3 – White

Cap funnel shaped and wavy

Smell: sweet/pleasant

Spore size Me = 4.6 x 3.1 µm ; Qe = 1.5

Clitocybe phyllophila (Frosty funnel) seems to fit although the dunes habitat is not mentioned (and the gills are a bit widely spaced)

Buczacki p166 “on soil in broad-leaved or coniferous woodlands, gardens, compost, hedgerows, often with beech”. Spores ellip, smooth 4-5 x 3-3.5 um. Smell: strong, sweet

Also attached a photo of fruitbody (48 hours post-picking, so a little dried out). The physical characteristics also fit with Clitocybe ericetorum, but this species is described as having no smell.

Doug
      Participant

John I have a very convincing looking C. rivulosa with faint concentric rings on the cap so i will enter that.
      The grey specimen with the depressed centre I think you have it right as C. barbularum. Everything fits perfectly so I will enter that also.
      A third white species that I also collected I think is C. candicans although I must admit I have only ever seen it in woodland.
      Does your Clitocybe fragrans still hold good or is this No 3?
      Cheers
      Doug.

John R
      Keymaster

Thanks Doug. Yes, the one with the “fragrans-type” odour is Clitocybe number 3. I think this is Clitocybe phyllophila but I am going to have another look at it later today if I get time.

Doug
      Participant

The Panaeolus looks good John so I will enter that also.Brilliant photo of germ pores.
      Doug.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.