Home Forums PUBLIC DISCUSSION BOARD January Entoloma

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Keith T

I found these on a garden lawn on 15th Jan. I have been advised to look in the region of Entoloma sericeum or E. lucidum The differences between these two in Funga Nordica seem subtle. Anyway, I had cap width up to 55mm, stipe about 30 x 5. Spores average 8 x 7. Basidia about 11 wide. After reading in Funga Nordica that E. sericeum had clamps in the pileipellis, I persuaded myself to find 4 instances of structures very slightly redolent of clamps. I then read Fungi of Switzerland, which says ‘Pp without clamps’, so naturally after that I found no more. Thanks guys.

Anybody else finding Entolomas at this time of year? Anybody got any further thoughts?

• This topic was modified 10 years, 3 months ago by John R.
      Keith T

Just adding to the above
      a nice picture of a basidium
      and a hint of a clamp. (but probably not.)

Tom Kirby

Hi Keith,
      No. No entolomas yet…I mean “yet”. Had the blighters last year in February but could not accurately identify.I had the same priblem but DID manage to find 3- 4 clamp conns with fine forceps strip removal from cap. I gaveup.
      Best,
      Tom

Tom Kirby

Yes to the additional pics…I an also “see” what might be clamp connections but though more defined than what I managed to see last year (not clear at all) there are certainly swellings in evidence…one then has to question what is and what is not a clamp “connection”. Let Doug take a look or prod him.
      Best,
      Tom

Doug
      Participant

I always find clamps tricky and like to see a definite overlap before I am happy with them. I think here the answer is in the spores E. sericeum has 5 angled spores and E lucidum 5-7 angled spores E. april has a stouter stem and occurs with shrubs and as the photo clearly shows 5 angled spores then E sericeum has my vote.
      Doug.

Keith T

Thanks very much, Doug.
      Very helpful, especially for the clarity in highlighting the differences between species, which is sometimes difficult to spot in the detailed descriptions in the guides.
      Keith

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.